Ernest Hemingway:

As Ernest Hemingway once said...
'All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.'

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

15 1/2 times better?

So Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid has vowed to block a congressional pay raise scheduled for January until the minimum wage is raised to $7.25/hour. That's actually pretty cool, since the salary of congressmen has gone up $31,600 during the time the minimum wage has sat at a hefty $5.15/hour. They currently make $165,200/year, which roughly (I'm no mathematician, folks) works out to $79.42/hour. That's $74.27 more than minimum wage. It's mind boggling.

My question is this: what exactly are our congressmen doing for $165,200/year, or $79.42/hour? I don't see much. I see a lot of arguing and time wasting. Let's see: they're discussing whether to make flag burning illegal, and amend the Constitution to specify this. They're also trying to amend the Constitution to ban gay marriage. Oh, and they're still trying to figure out what to do with our illegal immigrants.

Alright, they're probably working on a few other things too. I'm not saying they don't work at all. I'm just wondering if they do $79.42/hour worth of work. That's almost 15 1/2 minimum wage workers. I don't for one minute think they do 15 1/2 times the amount of work a minimum wage worker does. Do you?

No comments: