Ernest Hemingway:

As Ernest Hemingway once said...
'All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.'

Monday, April 17, 2006

those were the days

The other day I was putting my fridge pack of Coke Zero into the fridge, after wrestling with the stupid part that's supposed to punch out neatly, allowing the Cokes to stay in the cube and chill while taking up only a little bit of your fridge. That's the goal, anyway. However, every time I open the damn thing the package splits somehow, or I get a massive paper cut. It's such a pain.

I noticed there was a contest going on, so I made sure to look at the piece I had just mangled off the cube and saw some stupid internet access code thingy. Remember the good ol' days when you could twist the top off of a 20 oz soda and see immediately if you won or not? I drank free soda all throughout college thanks to those contests (and my leftover meal plan points that got us free 12 packs). That was exciting - twisting it off, the anticipation of the win building in your gut. How fucking exciting is it to take the stupid cap (or mangled box) to your computer, go to the website, type all that crap in, and most likely lose? It's ridiculous.

I vote to go back to the good ol' days of instantaneous prize offering. I thought this society was leaning more and more towards everything and it's brother being instantaneous? Why is this going backwards? I guess so people will be forced to visit a website and sign up for more spam mail. How companies make money on spam mail I'll never understand. Who actually reads that crap, or even opens it? Thank god for junk mail filters, that's all I can say.

No comments: