Ernest Hemingway:

As Ernest Hemingway once said...
'All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.'

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

paying for evacuation

I read a story yesterday on CNN about the US asking the Lebanon evacuees to pay $300 for their evacuation. I didn't have an opinion either way (shocker, right?), but did think it was odd.

Should the evacuees help cover the costs (there's around 25,000 American civilians there right now), or should we, the taxpayers, cover it? It's an interesting question. Really, $300 isn't a huge amount. I'm sure it costs well over that to fly to Lebanon, especially nowadays with fuel costs being out of control.

I can see both sides. On one hand, they had no idea this was going to happen, and it happened FAST. On the other hand, though, they are there at their own risk. Hezbollah isn't a new thing. You're taking at least a little bit of risk being over there. Plus, the US doesn't technically have to evacuate them at all.

I still don't know where I stand. I'm curious to hear thoughts on this, though. Let 'em rip.

1 comment:

Mustang Betsy said...

My friend S & I talked about this yesterday at lunch. One thing we both agreed on was that government workers & military who are stationed in Lebanon most certainly shouldn't have to pay to be evacuated. Others, students or vacationers, are up for debate - though I think it would be better if we cut back on other government spending rather than charge to evacuate our citizens in instances such as this. So that's my two cents.