Ernest Hemingway:

As Ernest Hemingway once said...
'All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.'

Monday, August 21, 2006

ebert and...norma jean

Q and I watched a couple of movies this weekend. One was an old classic, one was new and hilarious, and one was horribly awful. Roeper, move over...

Super Troopers
This movie is one of my all time favorites, meow. There are countless memorable lines. It involves everything to the completely wacky to the hilariously physical. The plot isn't all that great, but the ridiculous humor makes it completely worthwhile. It was written by the members of Broken Lizard, a comedy troupe. They've done one other - Club Dread - but it's not nearly as hilarious as this one. They're currently making Beerfest, due out this year. I can't wait.

Grandma's Boy
Like Super Troopers, this is completely juvenile and lowbrow humor. Perfect. I laughed my ass off. Seriously, there were a few scenes that almost made me pee my pants. I hadn't ever heard of this movie, though supposedly it was released in the theaters. Anyway, if you like stupid, gross, poop-joke humor, you'll like this one. A classic. One of the guys has a multiple personality that speaks like an old-school video game robot. It's pure genius.

Firecracker
A seriously bad movie. Q said it had been called David Lynch-esque, which made it intriguing. And it starred Mike Patton, of Faith No More fame. Unfortunately, it stunk. Q and I got halfway through, and questioned whether we should even finish it or not, but we RARELY leave movies unfinished, so we opted to scan through the rest. We occasionally stopped during a particularly odd scene, or if something looked interesting, but that's it. A W F U L. I'm seriously disappointed in Mike Patton. You'd expect a neat-o guy to make good decisions about movies. Oh well. Musicians should probably stick to music.

No comments: