Ernest Hemingway:

As Ernest Hemingway once said...
'All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.'

Monday, August 14, 2006

i'm back!

From a short vacation, that is. This weekend I was lucky enough, with a large group of people, to stay at a five star resort and spa from Thursday until Sunday. It was amazing.

After waking up to constant phone calls about the foiled terrorist plot and dealing with the craziness at the airport (stupid terrorists - why do they have to use liquid bombs? come on), a weekend of relaxing was exactly what we needed. Needless to say, I've never stayed at a five star resort, much less visited a top-ten-in-the-world spa. The service was phenomenal. The resort is on something like 70 acres, so it could be a long walk, depending on where you were going. However, all you had to do was call for a ride, and usually a cute boy arrived in a golf cart within minutes. Very cool. And the food was so yummy.

I had only ever had one professional massage before this trip, so I'm not exactly a connoisseur, but the massage I got was amazing. The women's lounge was immaculate. There were two steam rooms and a jacuzzi, as well as lots of showers, each with beautiful tile and wonderful shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. There was water infused with cucumber and lemon, and some really good iced tea, as well as any hot tea you could imagine. My massage was in a corner room, surrounded with windows looking out at the gorgeous scenery that surrounded the entire resort. Not that I got to look much during the massage, but that was beyond okay. I could easily become addicted, but not at that spa, as the massage was at least twice what you'd pay anywhere else.

And the best part was that it was free, with the exception of having to pay for the massage and lunch, and any snacks or alcohol I wanted during the day. But dinners were paid for, as well as an open bar pretty much all night long. Nice.

So, now that I've seen how the other half lives, it's going to be a much different experience to stay at a Holiday Inn or Motel Six. I did, at times, feel like an intruder, though I'm sure I didn't stick out as much as I thought I did. I did take a lot of pictures, but I waited until there weren't any people around (which was better anyway) so I wouldn't look like a huge hoosier. I wanted to document everything, since it's probably the nicest hotel I'll ever be in. It was funny - me trying to be inconspicuous while taking pictures of the pool at the spa because I'd never seen a pool like it. Oh well.

Anyway, it's back to the grind today, and it sucks. Especially since I messed up my watch while changing the time on the airplane and switched AM & PM, so my alarm didn't go off this morning, and I woke up 20 minutes before I was supposed to leave for work. Oops.

No comments: