Ernest Hemingway:

As Ernest Hemingway once said...
'All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.'

Monday, April 23, 2012

face lift

Well, after a considerable hiatus, I've decided to return to the ol' blog.  So much is going on with my writing right now, and I want a place to store my thoughts, as my head just can't hold on to it anymore.  I also want something my daughter can see when she's older, and maybe gain an understanding of what it is I do at the computer all the time (thus limiting her time to type her name and other choice words over and over again).

Writing is my passion.  I'm almost thirty-five.  I hate that it took me so long to figure it out, and in turn really figure out myself, but such is life.  However, it can take up a good part of my free time, depending on where I am in the process.  I try to be a good mom.  Most of the time it works.  Sometimes it doesn't.  But I want her to know what makes me passionate, and maybe find whatever it is that she loves a whole lot earlier than I did.

So more to come.  I'm horribly tired today from staying up too late writing, so chasing down my thoughts in a coherent manner isn't going to work.  So onto my fifth draft.  It's mostly finished.  A few chapters to write, a few things to add in and change, and then it's read/revision time.  Five drafts.  At least five years.  I've written other things too, but this novel just haunts me.  The drafts are kind of a timeline of my progress.  Most amazing is to compare draft one with draft five.  I've learned so much, matured so much, gained a better understanding of the craft of writing a novel.  This story, these characters, they're a part of me.  No matter what happens in the end, whether it gets shelved for good or published (because it'll be one or the other), it will always be a part of me.

Signing off to survey the wreckage of last night's late session.

No comments: