Ernest Hemingway:

As Ernest Hemingway once said...
'All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.'

Thursday, November 03, 2005

the magic of Trading Spouses

Did anyone catch Trading Spouses last night on Fox? Don't be judgin' - Lost wasn't on, and I don't have cable, okay? Anyway, it was a super religious mom that traded spaces with a hypnotherapist hippie mom. Not too weird, since these shows seem to go for total opposites. But the one mom wasn't just religious, she was a complete zealot. And had to weigh at least 300 pounds.

Needless to say, she didn't get along with the new family very well. They're very open, into astrology and celebrating the solstice, stuff like that. Seemed pretty cool to me. I won't get into the particulars. I'll just elaborate on two things that really got me.

First, the hippie lady had to meet fat religious lady's church friends for lunch. They came over to the house and immediately started grilling her about what religion she was. She was very cool about it, and didn't want to get into particulars, trying to avoid a confrontation. She basically said that she believes that everyone is equal, and should live harmoniously with the earth (or some crap like that). One friend said, very judgementally, 'So we're equal to child molesters and murderers?' Hippie lady didn't know what to say. Gross friend then said, 'So, you're not Christian.' As if she was scum because she wasn't Christian.

Thankfully I wasn't in this situation. I'd have decked her. Or at least pointed out that good Christians aren't supposed to judge. It's not like hippie mom was a child molester or murderer! She was a very nice, quiet, open-minded lady.

The second situation was when fat religious lady had to do a radio show with her new husband - they do some love advice show. The day fat religious lady did the show, there was a special guest - and special he was! A gay hypnotist (who I've heard on Dave Glover, by the way - a great drive time talk show on 97.1). Who better than a gay hypnotist to freak out fat religious lady?! She had a breakdown. She was pulling on her hair, praying to Jesus, and crying. It was completely hilarious. If you didn't see it, you should tune in next week - it supposedly gets better!

My point here is that I really feel sorry for people who are so into one thing they cannot learn about new things. Astrology is really cool. I'd really take that opportunity to learn about it. Are you telling me that God won't let you into heaven for learning about astrology and hypnotherapy? That's absurd. I just can't believe that.

If I was a religious person, I'd have been offended by this program. These zealots give all Christians a bad name. But they surely are funny!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't even realize this show was still on. I used to watch it all the time when it first premiered. Perhaps I need to revisit it.