Ernest Hemingway:

As Ernest Hemingway once said...
'All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.'

Thursday, March 23, 2006

does condie really care about some small time radio guy in the lou?

Has everyone heard about the controversy regarding KTRS talk show host Dave Lenihan? Apparently he accidentally said a racial slur on the air yesterday and was fired immediately. I heard the story last night on the news and wondered how one 'accidentally' says a racial slur. Seems unlikely.

Then I read more about it. He was talking about how great it would be if Condoleeza Rice became the next commissioner of football after Tagliabue (that name is hilarious to say) retires. He said, "She loves football, she's African American which would be kind of a big (coon). Oh my God, I totally, totally, totally, totally am sorry for that. I didn't mean that." He actually meant to say 'coup'.

I guess I can see that happening. However, I'm of the opinion that you don't accidentally say things that you wouldn't say normally, so I do think it's questionable that 'coon' ended up in his sentence. However, 'coup' completely fits, and makes perfect sense. The unfortunate part is that he had a 7 second delay at his disposal, and didn't use it. What a bummer. But he was on her side. Why would he call her a 'coon' if he was supporting her as commissioner of football? I just don't know.

I think maybe he should have been given more of an opportunity to explain himself instead of getting fired instantly, though. However, he was speaking about the Secretary of State, and the radio station was bound to take severe heat if they didn't do just that. What could they have done? It's unfortunate, but they have to worry about their sponsors. Plus, this guy had been on the air for something like 8 days, so I'm sure that made it easier to fire him.

I guess I just think it's totally unfortunate that a person can't make a mistake these days without a shit storm. So what, the guy mixed up his words. Big deal. If people would relax for a minute, and maybe worry about bigger and badder things, I think we'd be way better off. Then again, if this guy so readily slipped in 'coon', how often does he say that in his personal life? By the way, I'd never heard of this guy before yesterday, so I have NO IDEA if he's a racist or not. He does teach at Logan College of Chiropractic, and I know two guys who have gone there or go there, so I'll have to get the scoop from them. He also got suspended from his job at the college, which I think is way unreasonable. That just sucks - it was apparently this guy's dream job to work at KTRS, and after 8 days, was fired, and I'm sure his radio career is over, if not his teaching career. All for one slip of the tongue.

Any thoughts? I'm interested to know your opinions (hello? is anyone out there???)

1 comment:

:P fuzzbox said...

In todays politically correct world, intentions do not matter not even in the case of vocal lapses or wardrobe malfunctions.