Ernest Hemingway:

As Ernest Hemingway once said...
'All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.'

Monday, June 04, 2012

28 day blog challenge #3

Who is your favorite literary character?  With which literary character do you most relate?

This is incredibly tough.  When someone asks questions like these, my head spins.  How can I possibly narrow it down?  I'm going to try.

As for favorite characters, my number one is Jay Gatsby from, you guessed it, The Great Gatsby.  I'd probably lump all of the major characters in this novel on my list though.  He's hot, self-made, tragic, and so stylish.  In other words, he's perfect.  My favorite heroes always need rescuing.  I have no idea why.  I have literally never in real life been with a man like this.  Maybe that's the issue.  Plus, the novel takes place in the twenties, my all-time favorite decade.  In a time full of excess, debauchery, and innovation, romance and tragedy are bound to come head-to-head.

Second on my list is Edna Pontellier from Kate Chopin's The Awakening.  This is a novel I left off my favorites list in my last post.  Absolutely one of my all-time favorites.  Again, it embodies everything I love in a novel - unconventional relationships, a struggle to fit into conventional society and life in general, death, and a gorgeous setting.  The fact that this novel was published in 1899 still blows my mind.  I haven't read it in a while, and writing this post makes me want to do nothing but go and re-read it.  Edna is so relatable, shares many of our struggles, and had a huge impact on the modern feminist movement.  Again in 1899.  It's remarkable.

I'm not even going to tackle to which literary character I most relate.  I'm still trying to figure myself out...no need to go comparing myself to others.  That's a very scary thought.

I'd love to hear about everyone's favorite characters and maybe add a few must-reads to my list.

3 comments:

S.P. Bowers said...

Interesting. The characters from The Great Gatsby just kinda ticked me off. It has been awhile since I've read it though. I guess I need to put it on the list again.

My favorite characters are not necessarily ones I relate to. At least, not ones that I think I'm similar to.

Becky Fyfe said...

I am another one who was annoyed with the characters in The Great Gatsby, but maybe it's because I read it when I was very young and hated sad endings back then.

Jen said...

That's the thing. They're not the most likeable characters. But to me that's what makes them fantastic. Because even though they're assholes they still manage to resonate and leave a lasting impression.