Ernest Hemingway:

As Ernest Hemingway once said...
'All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.'

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

get your ass off my knee

There's this hawk flying around the trees outside of my window today. It's really cool. One of my bosses actually pointed it out - he thought it was an eagle, but I have my doubts. A hawk is weird enough, but an eagle? In Olivette? Doubtful.

It reminds me of the last time we camped with our vewwy good friends, V & CB. We were walking to the bathrooms and saw a huge owl swoop down into a tree. It had huge, black eyes - they looked like voids, like black holes. It was really cool, yet really disturbing at the same time. Owls are neat-o.

Lots of interesting things happen outside of my window. The closest house is a pit. There's crap all over the yard. Another house has two very cute doggies that play outside in the mornings. I see the school bus drive around and let kiddies out, and see when people are out doing yardwork. If you hadn't figured it out already, I'm not exactly busy at work. There's plenty of opportunity to observe the local folk.

On a side note, Q and I went to Frederick's Music Lounge last night to see Deadboy and the Elephantmen. It was a great show. We got there at 8:30, and it didn't start till after 10, so that sucked. It was a very interesting crowd. The singer from Deadboy was in a band called Acidbath (a very heavy band - you could probably figure that out), so there were tons of burnouts (remember that term? blast from the past) and other people generally lost in space and time. I had never been to Frederick's. It's interesting, to say the least. It's very small, and dark, and Frederick himself was collecting money and checking IDs at the door. There were bras, panties, and other unmentionables hanging from ceiling fans, plants, and anything else that would accommodate such things. These things completely belonged and seemed normal here - that alone says enough about the place. The only thing missing was billowing clouds of pot smoke. Suffice it to say, though I needed to, I avoided the bathroom at all costs. No thanks.

While waiting for an hour and a half for the show to start, I came to the realization that there are two basic types of people in the world - those aware of personal boundaries and space, and those who aren't. I came to this realization after having the same guy rub his ass on my knee repeatedly. Half of the problem was that the place was WAY too crowded. The other half I think was that this guy was very, very, wasted. He rocked back and forth constantly. We sat by the bar, on stools, so my knees happened to be right at ass level. I just don't get it. I would never let my ass rub against someone constantly. I'm just too aware of things like that. It was gross. This guy was definitely not clean. And this place was seriously smoky. My eyes are still burning.

It's like people who have to talk to you inches from your face (remember Seinfeld, and close talkers?). That is so freaky. There should be at least a foot of space between two people when they're talking.

Why can't everyone just be as nice and considerate as me? Is that too much to ask?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Suffice it to say, though I needed to, I avoided the bathroom at all costs. No thanks."

mistake, Never judge a book by it's cover. Frederick's has THE cleanest, most sanitary restrooms of any music club I've ever been to. I believe a few years ago they won an award from the St. Louis New Times weekly (The Riverfront Times) for cleanest bar restrooms.