Ernest Hemingway:

As Ernest Hemingway once said...
'All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.'

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

if only 'Titanic' the movie could sink, too

Last night Q and I finished watching The Believer. It's based on the true story of a KKK member in the 1960s who was revealed to be Jewish by a New York Times reporter. Ryan Gosling was really good, and despite a few plot flaws, it was definitely worth seeing.

Somehow the fact that it was based on a true story allowed me to get past the flaws. I just can't conceive of how a Jewish person could hate his own people so much. The movie tried a little bit to explain it, but I'm still baffled. It's so sad.

Anyway, the movie, of course, reminded me of American History X, one of the most powerful films ever made in my opinion. Edward Norton was amazing, as was the rest of the cast. This is one of those movies that just hammers you over the head and sticks with you for a long time. Unfortunately, it got almost no recognition, though I think it should have been a contender at the Oscars. Guess what won that year? Titanic. Wow. Truly unfortunate.

On a side note, Pujols smacked a huge homer last night to win us the game. So I don't have to eat my words yet!

No comments: