Ernest Hemingway:

As Ernest Hemingway once said...
'All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.'

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

damn control freaks

It's completely hilarious to watch grown men try and fix a copier. Ours has been broken since morning, and I've heard at least five of the advisors over there trying to fix it. When I hear them struggling I tell them it's broken, but they try to fix it anyway. That's scary, too, because I can only imagine what kind of irreperable damage is being done.

What is it about men? Why, though they have no training whatsoever in fixing copiers, would they undertake such an operation? The copier here is huge, and complicated. I wouldn't even want to start to fix it, and I'm kind of a know-it-all. I just don't get it. Why not call our copier guru and go from there? Don't they have anything better to do? There are three copiers in the building - why not use another? I finally called her, and while she was looking at the copier, one of the above mentioned guys walked by and informed her he had tried all of those things, and that none of it worked, in a tone implying he knew everything about copiers and there was nothing she could do to fix it. It was hilarious. I can only imagine the words she called him in her head.

And why is it, when there's something either to fix or put together, that the man has to be the one to do it? There have been plenty of instances when Q and I have gotten new furniture, toys, etc., and he has to be the one to put it together. If I even start to get the instructions out it's all over, even if he's not going to do it right then. It's hilarious. Especially since I'm pretty good at that stuff and am more than able to do it myself.

I think most men are control freaks. At least when it comes to that kind of stuff. I find it's just easier to let it go than to get worked up over it. At least if something goes wrong I can blame him instead of myself. That's always a bonus.

1 comment:

Stephen M Bourke said...

I could not agree more fully with your astute observations.

Norma Jean,

I am writing to inform that we have recently made a formal declaration to the public regarding your recent graduation, and acceptance of invitation to join the distinguished faculty of the Sofa King Awesome School of Business. You have now been granted carte blanch to produce any and all work of your chosing on said school's home page. You have joined the ranks of the intellectual elite, and you will now be celebrated as such in annexations as remote as Kingman Reef. Congratulations to you, Norma Jean, on this prodigious accomplishment. We as the faculty of the Sofa King Awesome School of Business welcome you with open arms.

Sincerely,
Dr. Todd Fuquad PhD