Ernest Hemingway:

As Ernest Hemingway once said...
'All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.'

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

rest in peace, yummy chocolate reptile

So, I got some really great news yesterday, and some not so great news.

Good stuff first:
One of my best friends in the world is pregnant! That's exciting, though it's too bad she lives in Atlanta. Her parents are still in STL though, so at least I get to see her a few times a year. We've been friends since the fourth grade, so thinking of her with a kid is kind of weird. It wasn't too shocking since I knew she was trying, but it's still neat-o.

Bad stuff last:
I visited the Hostess outlet store near my house yesterday, craving Chocodiles. I look all over the store twice (it's small) and can't find them. Finally I settle on a box of cupcakes, knowing they'll at least satisfy the craving for horribly-bad-for-you baked goods with nasty-crisco-like creme centers. I asked the clerk about the Chocodiles, and she informed me they'd been discontinued over a year ago. First wave of shock - how can they discontinue something as wonderful and coveted as the Chocodile? Second wave of shock - has it really been over a year since I've been to the Hostess outlet store? I guess so.

It's a sad, sad time in the world of Norma Jean. Chocodiles were my favorite guilty pleasure (apparently I found enough things to take their place during the past year, though). And it's a great memory of my Granny I's house - she would buy them for us and keep them in the freezer with other goodies like drumsticks, peppermint ice cream, and snoballs. She spoiled the hell out of us. Now I'll never again bite into a frozen Chocodile and remember being with Granny I.

I surfed around on the internet (the magical thing that takes up so much of my workday) and found a website that somehow still has the ability to ship Chocodiles around the country. Unfortunately, they cost $9 a box, compared to the $2 I paid at the store, and that doesn't even include shipping. Maybe I can indulge once in a while, but definitely not too often. They don't explain where these mystery Chocodiles come from, either, which is suspect. Have they been hoarding boxes, knowing they were to be discontinued? How old are these things? Maybe that's not such a good idea after all.

Bye, delicious Chocodiles. You were my favorite lunchtime snack in junior high, though my friends would make fun of me. They were just jealous of your delicious cakey goodness, creamy center yumminess (that the kids used to say was the same substance used to embalm bodies - that didn't stop me, though), and wonderful chocolate outside. You will truly be missed.

No comments: